Thursday 30 May 2013

Harlech



Still in Wales we find this quirky little cheese named after the true Welsh Warriors of the Middle Ages

Harlech

Harlech Cheese is a mature Welsh pasteurised cows milk cheddar, that is made using vegetable rennet with chopped parsley and horseradish added.  It is a smooth cheddar cheese with a horseradish bite that is slightly tempered with the addition of the parsley.  It is coated with a distinctive bright orange wax that gives it a passing resemblance to a belisha beacon.

Now I have to admit something to you, dear fellow traveller. I am by no way, a fan of the idea of mixing flavours, with a perfectly good cheddar and trying to pass it off as a cheese in its own right.  However, if I was to keep solid to the train of thought, then we would have only a limited amount of unique cheese to look at.

This cheese to me did have a slight roast dinner smell to it.  You know, the one you remember as a child, as you were playing in the back garden waiting for the Sunday roast to be served. When you get to taste this quirky curd, well it was just like biting into good old roast beef and all the trimmings.  That's the best way I can honestly describe this cheese.  This cheese made me smile because it bought back good memories.  Bravo to whoever come up with the idea, it's certainly thinking out of the box and got me to seriously have a talk to myself  about  my cheese snobbery!

For these reasons I give this cheese a 3.5 out of 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment