Tuesday 21 May 2013

Wild Garlic

Alright I know I'm going off the subject slightly, but I couldn't let today go by without a mention of the glorious site I came across today in the Forest Of Dean.....

Walking by a lake .....I came across the wonderous sight of wild garlic (with a few dashes of vivid bluebells) carpeting the floor in the Royal Forest.

It got me thinking.....!

Now a few weeks ago myself and a friend were talking about wild garlic and how its strong smelling attributes could be used in the culinary world.  Well before you know it, my friend was using the leaves and creating a curry masterpiece ..... A Saag with a kick so to speak.  Of course, this got my brain matter whirring  when I saw it again today.  I wondered if there was a cheese that combines wild garlic and cheese...a cheese that combines the two and is not a derivative of any other?  We have all heard of Sage Derby and of course Cornish Yarg (wrapped in its blanket of nettles) ,but one wrapped or combines wild garlic..?  As of writing, a cheese like this doesn't spring to mind, but I will make it my mission to see if such a cheese is out there in the Great Kingdom of Fromage!!

7 comments:

  1. Granted there Wild garlic yarg but its just derivative of yarg , a true on its own stand out cheese must be out there somewere? Perhaps there's a monastery cheese out there ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apologies FromageHomage - tried to delete my post and yours got deleted by accident... Thank you for the tip - however, I'm still hunting a specific stand alone cheese (see above!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice garlic'y cheese would be good... Perhaps some wild garlic chopped up and mixed into some soft cheese would be a good homemade alternative... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good - let me know what it's like!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going to the forest tomorrow, where was it? Will it still be a round?

    ReplyDelete
  6. forgive me in my lateness in replying Rachel but yes given the cold weather we have had the wild garlic should be around till early to mid june.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, i did find some in the forest, but forgot it was on the buggy, now it's no good and the buggy stinks of garlic lol.

    ReplyDelete